Functional Unit for Diabetic Foot (UFPD)
The Functional Unit for Diabetic Foot (UFPD) brings together the different professionals that participate in the clinical process. Its purpose is to provide better care, and reduce the number of amputations in diabetic patients and their physical, professional and personal complications. This multidisciplinary working group involves professionals from the Hospital, primary care workers and residential care workers.
Objectives of the Unit
- Reduce the number of patients with lower limb amputations.
- Reduce the number of hospital admissions.
- Reduce the number of patients with permanent incapacity to work.
- Reduce the costs of public health care.
- All patients with diabetic foot disease, considering that the reference areas are not the same for Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Cardiovascular Disease and Endocrinology.
- The majority of patients can access the Primary Care Unit and Residential Care, if they are in the acute stage, from the Emergency Ward or from other services of the Hospital.
- People admitted to residential centres in this area with diabetic foot disease, if they meet the criteria to be referred.
- Leg ulcers will not be treated; for practical purposes, the foot begins at the malleolus bones.
Coordinator of the UFPD
Jesús Gaitán Enríquez. Podology.
Services and professionals assigned to the Functional Unit
- Dr. Antonio Pérez. Endocrinology Service.
- Dr. José Roman Escudero. Angiology, Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Service..
- Dr. Josep M Romero Carro. Angiology, Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Service.
- Dra. Natividad Benito Hernandez. Attending Physician of the Infectious Diseases Unit
- Jesús Gaitán. Podology.
- Emilia Belda, Mª Carmen Martínez i Mª José Cros. Nursing.
- Dr. Xavier Crusi i Dr. Carlos Álvarez. Orthopaedic and Traumatology Surgery Service (COT).
- Dra. Helena Bascuñana. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service.
- Dr. Joaquin López-Contreras. Infectious Diseases Unit - Internal Medicine Service.
- Toni López. Primary Healthcare, ICS SAP Dreta.